Sunday, August 1, 2010

1st Anniversary Cake. A copy of the top tier of their wedding cake, this confection features handpainted sugarpaste roses and lilies that match the flowers in the bride's boquet. The cake is a lemon chiffon cake filled with lemon curd buttercream and covered in marshmallow fondant.

This week was a bit lighter than the one's before due to a family Cub Scout commitment. I kept my calendar clear with the exception of this 1st Anniversary Cake for a wonderful couple. Last year I did the Bridal Shower cake for this same bride and she was very happy to have me do up a copy of their wedding cake for them this year.

The secret to this cake is the flowers. Roses are a pretty standard sugar flower but I had never made lilies before so this was a new skill for me to learn. One of the surprises is that it takes a few days to make lilies due to the many parts and painted styles needed to assemble the final flower! The other secret is the brown swiss dots that adorn the outside of the cake. They are actually dark chocolate buttercream but since they are so small you don't even taste them while eating the lemon cake! But the newlyweds wedding theme was leopard colors so we kept it in the same colors for the anniversary cake.

This upcoming week brings only fun. I have a wedding faire coming up in January and have to, during my "free" weeks, make up the faux cakes that will highlight my decorating on our faire tables. So I have BIG plans for the first of these cakes and can NOT wait to share them with you next Sunday!

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment