Sunday, August 29, 2010

The "Tory" Seahorse Wedding Cake. Covered with Vanilla Marshmallow Fondant.
Trimmed with sugar crystals and topped with a Sugar candy Cake Topper.

As promised...the Display Cake! This is the first of six I have to have done by the first bridal faire in January. I am very pleased about how this turned out. Most of the time an artist sketches something out and then tries to recreate it in sugar and it doesn't quite turn out the way you imagined. This turned out exactly how I imagined! The topper is my first venture into sugar work. Since then I have played quite a bit with it but this was my first time and I was very nervous about it. It turned out just like I wanted it to on the very first try and I feel like I'm pretty blessed that it did. The seaweed and seahorses are all made of fondant. The seahorses are molded in a candy mold and then after unmolding, trimming and allowing to dry, they are handpainted to look more lifelike. The seahorses and topper are the two reasons this cake takes a bit longer to make, they require the drying time in order to make them look right.

However, with a display cake there is no actual cake there. This makes my family sad since there are also no trimmings, no leftovers, no goodies that Mom is bringing home from the kitchen! So, in order to play with a new technique and give my family cake, I decided to make cupcakes that, I think, would look adorable at any baby shower. They could be used in place of a cake or packaged up to give away as favors!



Lemon Chiffon Baby Shower Cupcakes



The next few weeks brings some special birthday cakes to share with all of you. The only clues I'll give are that one is a more modern girly cake and one is a 3D cake. Hopefully both women will be delightfully surprised!

Cat









No comments:

Post a Comment