Friday, February 1, 2013

Happy Friday...yup, Friday! Normally the Blog comes out on Sunday but since I'm making a HUGE announcement today on our FACEBOOK FAN SITE I thought I'd share this week's cake a bit early too. 

This week's cake is the 2nd of 4 Demo Cakes I need to get done this year for Bridal Fairs this Fall. Many Brides want to combine the architecture of a more modern look with a feminine feel. This is also a way to have a "Pink" look without it overwhelming their Groom. 

To make this cake isn't a fast process but it's not too hard either. I started out making a batch of white fondant and a batch of pink fondant (really easy to do this time of year when there are pink marshmallows available in the grocery store!) and then I took a third of each fondant "loaf" and mixed them together to get the light pink fondant color. I tried using a cookie cutter for the squares but the squares were not really square so I ditched that idea and decided to just roll out large rectangles of each color and then cut those into 1 inch squares on my grid marked mat. 

To get the cascading colors you just need to watch how you place the squares onto the cake. I started out with a white square then added a dark pink on top of that, then a pink, then a white. When I started the next row I just started with the 2nd color of the first row as my first square and then followed that up with the 3rd color of the first row, etc. What that does is set up color lines on your cake when you get it all together. 

I purposely didn't make the fondant all the same thickness. I wanted to get the texture of a quilt, not just flat fondant. If you want it to all be the same thickness then just run your fondant through a pasta machine and you will have the same thickness for each color. 

When it came to the top of the bottom cake I just trimmed the top corners a bit on each tile so that they would fit the angle of the top of the cake. I only did one row so that the top tier, when it was decorated, would fit down into the bottom one and not need any trim to connect the two. I didn't do this same treatment to the top of the cake because I wanted a solid color for the Word Topper.

It is very hard to make a super long thin ribbon and not have it break. You either have to make it really thick or do what I did which is to actually make two lengths of ribbon that join up in the back of the cake. Yes, picking a back of the cake is very important since your seams will be hidden back there. Unless you have a 360 degree presentation there will be a definite front and back of the cake. With the topper on this cake there is a clear front of the cake so I ran a thin line of "ribbon" from the center of the front of the cake to the center of the back of the cake. Then I joined another thin line from the back to the front. When I reached the front I just hid the "join" with a bow. If this was a 360 degree cake you could do the very same thing at the back of the cake where there is the 2nd join. In fact, if you wanted to do so, you could put bows in equal distance placement and make the ribbon placement even easier. 

Once the ribbon was in place it was time to place the hearts. I already knew I wanted the hearts on the white squares but really just started with the front and made my way around randomly placing them where I thought they looked good. No rhyme or reason with that placement.

Lastly was the topper. Made from white fondant that was cut from thin strips and then rolled and molded into lettering, this topper was meant to copy the "Curlz" font. Playful, happy, girly. It seemed to fit the "mood" of the cake perfectly. I had to let the fondant sit for quite awhile before it was firm enough to stand up on the cake. I attached each letter to the one before with a bit of water to give it more structure. If you don't have the time for the fondant to dry just add in a bit more tylose or gumpaste and do this the day before you actually decorate the cake.

If you are a beginning caker you can do this cake! The topper may be out of your comfort zone but you can always buy a topper that captures the same feel at your local Bridal, Cake or Craft store. Anytime that you can "panel" a cake it is going to be easier than getting that smooth fondant finish on one. I really love the textured look of this cake as well as the color runs that make it look very architectural but the other details keep it wonderfully girly. It's a really "fun" cake.

Check out this week's Party Blog to see the Wedding Plan that matches this cake! Traditionally elegant with a modern touch or two but very fun and just a bit "girly". See you there Monday!

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment